People’s Park is an attractive well maintained, ornamental park situated in the heart of Banbury in the County of Oxfordshire.
With three hectares of land and formerly owned by George Frederick Ball the park was given to the people of Banbury as part of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in 1897. It combines historic merit with a host of modern features; including a community garden, sensory garden, Bowling Green, rose garden, Aviary, War Memorial, tennis/multi-use courts, fitness area and children’s play area.
The rose beds surrounding the War Memorial was replanted in 2011 with 'Help the Heroes Roses' which were planted by the Banbury Royal British Legion
to commemorate the 90 years of service (1921 – 2011) to the local ex-service community. A memorial plaque was installed to mark the occasion.
The Park has a varied plant profile with herbaceous and shrub borders and seasonal bedding displays set in formal lawns and parkland, as well as a fine collection of trees. One of the parks main features is its enclosed seasonal bedding displays, planted up each year by local school children.
Popular with all visitors is the splendid aviary within the park which has a variety of birds and is surrounded by mature shrub beds and seating.
At the beginning of the year in 2011, the trees were all surveyed and some trees had to be felled and replanting has commenced within the park but one tree in particular has been made a feature. The tree trunk was left in situ and a face was carved within the tree, which is an attraction in the park and is loved by our younger visitors.
Another key feature is the Community Garden, bringing together a wide range of community members including people with disabilities. The Garden has a composting area, wormery, glass house, poly-tunnel and rockery, accompanied by a dipping pond.
Click here to view a map of the park
Return to the previous page
Go to the top of this page | Go to the home page | Contact BanburyTown Council | Go to Legal Information | Graphics Version
Designed and hosted by Market Town